Weekly Market

the elder lady was very nice, I took the picture in 2016

When I was in my hometown, my family and I would often visit the weekly market nearby, just a 10-minute walk away. As a kid, the excitement of going there, regardless of whether I bought anything, always filled me with joy. The journey to the market was particularly enjoyable, especially the path through the lush green rice fields. Occasionally, I'd spot plants being devoured by numerous caterpillars, a sight I had to avoid due to my fear of them.

the view to the traditional market near me

Once we passed the green rice fields, the entrance to the market would come into view. Numerous vendors lined the market, offering a variety of goods, fresh produce from local farmers, fashion items, music, and more. During my visits, I'd often indulge in fresh juice or traditional Indonesian sweets. Sometimes, I'd run into friends or family unexpectedly, and we'd head back home together. If I accompanied my mom, we'd often take a "becak," a pedicab capable of carrying two people. As a child, I'd sit between my parents, making it at least two adults and a child.

The weekly market was open every Monday and Thursday, while there was also a daily market operating from around 2 am until midday.

Since I moved to Germany, I haven't experienced anything quite like that. However, Germany has its version of weekly markets, offering similar local products of high quality. I now reside in Hamburg, where weekly markets are available in every district, each with its designated opening day.

During my last visit in the summer, we bought berries, apples, oranges, vegetables, and matjes, using them to prepare a traditional German dish called "Matjes nach Hausfrauenart." It was unbelievably delicious, with an amazing taste!

Matjes nach Hausfrauenart

I also observed that the vegetables from the weekly market had a superior flavor compared to those labeled "bio" in supermarkets. It was a surprising discovery. Despite the higher prices at the weekly market in Hamburg, attributed to the locally sourced and often organic nature of the products, the experience varied from district to district.

weekly market in Hamburg 

These markets in Germany bring back memories of the Indonesian markets I grew up with. Having access to traditional markets like these is crucial because it allows us to trace the origins of our food. My family has always used and supported local products. I wish I could do 100% like them. However, I love German foods and local vegetables here and also love making homemade meals. I strive to live sustainably wherever I am.

Here are some pictures from fresh fruits and vegetables from weekly market in Hamburg:




And in 2016 I visited the traditonal market in Central Java at my Grandma's place. Here are some pictures I took:







 


Stay healthy every one! Xoxo Rita


Comments

  1. I really miss my hometown, after read this xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh love and hug from Hamburg xoxo Rita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sambal Goreng Tempe

A Letter to Widji Thukul